Mark Mathews has the tax knowledge, understanding and expertise to fix your tax problem legally and efficiently.
With over 30 years in the tax profession dealing with all aspects of tax, tax audits and tax disputes with the ATO, Mark brings a wealth of tax advisory and tax dispute resolution experience spanning a broad range of markets and industries.
Mark Mathews, Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) and Legal Practitioner Director of Mathews Tax Lawyers, was admitted to practise as a legal practitioner and barrister of the High Court of Australia and Federal Court of Australia in 2001.
Having worked for a number of Big 4 and mid-tier accounting and law firms and practising as a tax law barrister, Mark has extensive experience in providing commercially focused and practical tax advice to large corporates, SME’s and high wealth individuals.
Mark also specialises in tax dispute resolution. He has negotiated the settlement of major tax disputes and run complex tax litigation in the Federal Court of Australia and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. Mark has acted for taxpayers and the Commissioner of Taxation.
Prior to entering private practice, Mark was Tax Counsel in the ATO. Mark’s vast experience at the ATO, spanning over 13 years in policy, technical and litigation areas, has given him a unique insight into the ATO’s approach to tax law interpretation, administration and litigation.
Mark Mathews' Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (Distinction)
Mark Mathews' Tax Experience:
- Over 30 years’ experience in dealing with all aspects of tax, tax audits and tax disputes with the ATO and State revenue authorities
- 13 years ATO experience
- 17 years private practice experience
Mark Mathews' Previous Roles:
- Special Counsel, Craddock Murray Neumann Lawyers: national responsibility for running their tax litigation practice.
- Tax Director, Toohey Reid: providing high level tax and structuring advice for SME’s and HWI and management of tax audits.
- Director, EY Tax Controversy: running complex tax litigation, managing client strategy, responses to ATO audits and settling complex tax disputes.
- Principal Lawyer, Moore Stephens Tax Lawyers
- Principal, Moore Stephens Tax Consulting: providing advice on complex tax issues, representing clients in negotiations with the ATO, and ran AAT and Federal Court appeals.
- Barrister specialising in revenue law.
- Tax Counsel, ATO: determining the ATO view on a range of complex tax issues. My extensive experience at the ATO, spanning over 13 years in policy, technical and litigation areas, has given me a unique insight into the ATO’s approach to interpretation, administration and dispute resolution.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is for general information purposes only and is not specific to any particular person or situation. There are many factors that may affect your particular circumstances. We advise that you contact Mathews Tax Lawyers before making any decisions.