With offices in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, our highly experienced tax lawyers can assist you with your tax problem or dispute wherever you are in Australia. We have helped clients to resolve their tax issue not only in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, but also in Canberra, Adelaide, Hobart, Perth and Darwin. We also assist international clients and have given tax advice to clients based in the USA, UK, Jersey, China, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia and New Zealand.
We can help if you are:
- A sole practitioner or smaller accounting or legal firm seeking advice on a complex tax issue, a second opinion or assistance with a client’s tax dispute
- A business owner, private group, family office or high wealth individual faced with a tax audit or requiring tax effective structuring advice, or tax advice on a discrete issue
- A company, partnership or trust needing tax advice or assistance with an ATO review or audit
- An individual not sure how to comply with the tax law
- A new business or startup wanting to protect your business and investment
What we do
We only do tax!
The range of tax advisory and legal representation services we offer covers all Federal taxes including:
- income tax
- capital gains tax (CGT)
- goods & services tax (GST)
- employments taxes – FBT, PAYG
- business tax issues – including trusts, unpaid present entitlements, Division 7A, CGT “small business concessions” and roll-overs
- penalties, general interest charge, shortfall interest charge
We also do state taxes such as:
- duties (e.g. transfer duty, landholder duty)
- payroll tax
- land tax
We can assist you with:
- tax advice that is commercial, practical and easy to understand
- tax effective structuring and business structure reviews
- putting in place the right legal documents to protect your new business or startup
- obtaining a private ruling from the ATO
- tax audit representation and negotiation
- objecting to tax decisions and assessments
- resolving tax disputes and negotiating settlements
- tax litigation: appealing tax decisions and assessments to the AAT or Federal Court
- tax payment arrangements and proposals
- obtaining remission of tax penalties and interest
We are experts in identifying the key tax issues and resolving them quickly.
We will represent you fearlessly to protect your rights.
Why choose us
Our director, Mark Mathews, has impressive tax credentials with over 25 years’ experience in dealing with all aspects of tax, tax audits and tax disputes with the ATO and state revenue authorities.
Mark previously worked as a barrister specialising in tax and so knows what arguments to run and what it takes to win a case. As a barrister, he ran cases both for and against the ATO.
Mark was previously Tax Counsel at the ATO so knows how the ATO works and thinks. For many years, he ran one of their legal teams dealing with objections, rulings and complex tax litigation.
Commercially astute, Mark has vast private sector tax experience, having worked for many years at “Big 4” accounting firms and law firms.
Our team has the tax knowledge, understanding and expertise to assist you to finalise your tax problem legally and efficiently.
We will work co-operatively with you to provide a range of options and a recommended course of action to help you to resolve your tax issue quickly.
Tax is one of the most complex areas of law and constantly changing. Our tax lawyers are up to date with the latest tax law changes, developments and trends.
What you will get from us
- proven expertise in tax law
- strategic, innovative and commercially astute advice that you can understand and implement
- a recommendation not just options
- a cost effective and practical solution to your tax problem
- we do what we say we’ll do
- we say things as they are
- we keep you informed
- meticulous attention to detail
- we are easily and quickly accessible
- we are prompt, efficient and deliver on time
- we are open and upfront about fees